Friday, December 23, 2011

Running Goals for 2012

2011 was a bit of an up and down year for me running-wise. It started out very promising. A winter of base building (long runs) and strength training (snowshoe racing) left me primed for some early season road PR's. I ended up having a couple of good races and then promptly tore my hamstring in April. 

For the initial recovery, it took about 2 months before I could start training full-time again and then another 2 months to get myself back into reasonable racing shape. I had a couple of OK races in September as I built up my speed. But, from early October until now it's been one hamstring set-back after another.

Fortunately, with some deep tissue massage, active release therapy, graston technique and some core exercises I believe I have my latest hamstring issues solved. Or, at least solved enough to start setting some goals and making a plan for the New Year. With that in mind (and tempting fate beyond belief) below are my running goals for 2012:

Training Goals:
  • Stay injury free for the duration of 2012.
  • Get my weight below 180 (184 currently) and keep it there for the year.
  • Add more (and varied) cross training exercises to my training routine.
  • Learn to swim. Not just treading water, but proper swimming technique.

    Racing Goals:
    • Compete in my first duathlon race.
    • Complete my first 50 mile race.
    • Become an Iron-Runner by running each of the 7 NEGP races
    • Win a race - of any distance.

      Time Goals:
      • 1m: 5:10 
      • 5k: 17:30 (5:38) 
      • 5m: 29:00 (5:48) 
      • 10k: 36:30 (5:54) 
      • 10m: 1:02:00 (6:12) 
      • 1/2m: 1:22:00 (6:16) 
      • Mar: 3:00:00 (6:52)


        So there it is. In black and white.

        Now all that's left to do is make it happen ...

          6 comments:

          1. Michael- get your butt up to the Concord Y and have Amber teach you to swim. I went from not being able to swim at all to swimming six miles in the Hudson.
            Also I think she's got a similiar 5k goal for this year, so let's see if we can get it done at one of those Freeze Your Buns races.

            Good Luck!

            ReplyDelete
          2. Dan - Does Amber make house calls? I think I'll need to stick to the Nashua area pools, for now. I'll also probably run some FYB's but a 17:30 in Jan or Feb might be a bit to ambitious. I'm thinking May or June.

            ReplyDelete
          3. Nice and ambitious. I'd just like to stay somewhat motivated.

            Are you targeting Cape Code as your Fall Marathon?

            Denis

            ReplyDelete
          4. Not sure yet Denis. Depends on which 50m I choose to do. If it's Stonecat (first week of Nov) I suspect I'll need more than 1 week recovery from the marathon. So, maybe Clarence DeMar which is the last week of Sept.

            ReplyDelete
          5. Good goal-Hopefully we can click through a few miles and workouts together sometime next year!

            ReplyDelete